Five Questions with Mariel Jeffris

MEM: Describe NC State for you in one word. Why?

JEFFRIS: Growth. NC State for me was a complete 180 on my life. I had been living in a different country up until that point and had studied in a small school from kindergarten all the way to graduating high school. My 4.5 years at State allowed me to go beyond my comfort zone, not just academically but also personally and professionally. I was faced with many challenges and opportunities and was able to find a group of people who would support me through that.

MEM: What is the best thing that happened to you as part of MEM?

JEFFRIS: A reignited sense of curiosity and desire to learn. I am happy to be surrounded by a group of people who want to continue to advance personally and professionally through a program as comprehensive as MEM.

MEM: What is your daily routine to maintain a healthy work/life balance?

JEFFRIS: To me, it’s really important that I can find time to decompress between work and being with my loved ones. Usually, I like to go to the gym or go for a walk after coming home from work.

MEM: What is your superpower?

JEFFRIS: Empathy. I’ve found that no matter how technical or non-technical of a role I may have, being able to connect with the people around me has made a huge difference in the success of the teams I’ve worked with.

MEM: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

JEFFRIS: “Have serenity to accept what cannot be changed; courage to change what needs to be changed and wisdom to know the difference.”  – The Serenity Prayer