Analytics Certificate in Engineering Management
CONGRATULATIONS on completing the analytics word search! Upload your photo below, and your FREE NC State hat will be on its way.
Analytics Word Search Submission
The Engineering Management Analytics Certificate is a graduate program that will help advance your career as you look to take on more responsibility or move into a management role. The program provides you with the principles and foundational concepts of analytics and the application to planning, management, and/or decision-making for industrial and technical organizational pursuits. The certificate is available on-campus and online through our Engineering Online Program.
This certificate provides an option to meet the demand for the key concepts and provide a graduate certificate for those unsure about committing to an entire master’s degree program. By design, successful certificate completion would also cover 40 percent of the MEM degree. Further, the certificate curriculum intentionally requires little to no prerequisites, making you highly marketable.
If you decide to transfer courses into a master’s degree program, like MEM, you should consult the Director of the Graduate Certificate Program (DGCP) regarding specific requirements. Also, note that NC State requires a B or higher grade to transfer into a master’s degree program per the Graduate Student Handbook (Section 3.1.D).
I want more information about the Analytics Certificate?
- Unless the Director of the DGCP grants you an exception, you must choose courses as outlined in the table below.
- Of the 12 hours, three (3) hours may be at the 400 level with prior approval from the DGCP, per the Graduate Student Handbook (Section 3.13).
- The other nine (9) hours will be at the 500 level or above.
- You must take one course per semester to remain in good standing. For your grades to count toward the certificate, they must be a B- or higher. Also, a GPA of 3.00 is required to earn the certificate.
- The Graduate Student Handbook lists all additional requirements (Section 3.13).
- Because of its specificity and high demand, premium tuition is charged on this certificate. If you are currently pursuing other degrees and/or certificates, you will not be admitted to this certificate program until you complete those other programs. Once you are enrolled in this certificate, credit hours will be subject to the MEM tuition premium until the certificate is received.
- If you are in an existing degree program without a tuition premium, you may not add a second program with a tuition premium concurrent with the existing degree. If you are in a degree program with a tuition premium, you may not add a second program with a different tuition premium (including no premium).
- Premium tuition is charged based on your program of study, not the individual courses you take. This policy is outside the department’s control. For instance, you, the MEM student, pay the MEM premium even if in a given semester, you take one, two or three courses outside the MEM curriculum. Similarly, once you are admitted to the Engineering Management Foundations Graduate Certificate Program and the certificate is added to your program of study, you will be charged the premium.
|ISE 501 Intro to Operations Research (required) 1
|Take one course
|ST 515 Experimental Statistics for Engineers I
|ST 516 Experimental Statistics for Engineers II
|ST 517 Applied Statistical Methods I 1
|ST 518 Applied Statistical Methods II 2
|Take two courses
|CE 537 Computer Methods and Applications
|EM 589 Practical Machine Learning for Engineering Analytics
|EM 589 Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Managers 2
|ISE 519 Database Applications in Industrial and Systems Engineering 1
|ISE 535 Python Programming for Industrial and Systems Engineers 1
|ISE 537 Statistical Models for Systems Analytics in Industrial Engineering
|ISE 547 Applications of Data Science in Healthcare
|ISE 560 Stochastic Models in Industrial Engineering 1
|MBA 545 Decision Making under Uncertainty 1
|OR 504 Introduction to Mathematical Programming
|OR 506 Algorithmic Methods in Nonlinear Programming
|ST 554 Analysis of Big Data 2
|ST 555 Statistical Programming I 1
|ST 556 Statistical Programming II 2
|ST 558 Data Science for Statisticians 2
|ST 563 Introduction to Statistical Learning 2
1 Course taught both on-campus and online.
2 Course offered online only.
Application to the program requires:
- An online application form
- Transcripts of all academic work after high school
- A written personal statement
Admission will be competitive, and the GRE is not required. Your academic success might have a strong bearing on admission, but completing a certificate program never guarantees entry into a graduate degree program. You should have a STEM or other relevant bachelor’s degree.
Certificate Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the graduate certificate program, students will be able to:
- Show an understanding of critical concepts for engineering leadership, organizational communication and communication techniques for working with various stakeholders
- Understand and apply basic financial concepts to analyze alternatives for projects of multiple lengths and cash flows
- Apply conceptional, analytical and practical tools to plan and manage a project with various stakeholders
- Identify quantitative tools and analytical methods available for solving multiple problems
- Effectively communicate quantitative information to technical and non-technical audiences