5 Questions with Nisarg Dinesh Shah

MEM: Describe NC State in one word.

Shah: Home. Coming from India, NC State has made sure that I get a sense of belonging here right from the time I arrived in Raleigh.

MEM: What are some of the best things that happened to you as part of MEM?

Shah: Making some awesome friends for life – Abishek Muthukathan and Devpradnya Kadam, in particular, who have always believed in me more than I ever did myself. Getting a chance to interact with Dr Michael Spano and studying under him was a learning that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Attending the Disney Data and Analytics Conference was also a magical experience.

MEM: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

Shah: There is a quote that I read somewhere, and it goes like, “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love”. This quote reminds me to infuse positivity in my personality and remind myself of what I have achieved so far in life and how much I have progressed, especially as a person.

MEM: What is your daily routine to maintain a healthy work/life balance?

Shah: I do not have a routine in terms of my schedule. However, I have this condition that once I go home, I do not work be it anything related to academics or related to professional work. Hence, I have sort of spatially compartmentalized my routine.

MEM: Who has been an influential person for you? 

Shah: I think the most influential person for me has been my elder sister. She is a doctor back in India, and I have seen her work tremendously hard for everything in life but always with a smile on her face, no matter how difficult the situation. Dedication and hard work are some things that I have learned from her.